1. Which of these is not a type of musical scale?
2. Which of the following are characteristic of the Baroque period?
I. It began with the invention of opera and ended with the death of Johann Sebastian Bach.
II. It began with the death of Johann Sebastian Bach and ended in the 1820’s.
III. Franz Haydn was a major composer of the period.
IV. Imitative polyphony is characteristic of the period.
V. Antonio Vivaldi is a major composer of the period.
a. I and V
b. II and III
c. I and IV
d. III and V
e. III and IV
3. Nineteenth century opera was dominated by which two composers?
a. Samuel Barber and Benjamin Britten
b. Richard Wagner and Giuseppe Verdi
c. Christoph Gluck and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
d. Giacomo Puccini and Maurice Ravel
e. Claudio Monteverdi and George Frideric Handel
4. Moderato, vivace, andante and presto are all examples of…
5. Musical notes are arranged in meter, or a series of beats. When an unexpected accent occurs (either between beats or on a weak beat), it is called…
a. Duple meter
c. A key signature
6. Which is true of jazz?
a. It is widely considered to be America’s only original contribution to music
b. It originated in American Hispanic culture.
c. It originated around the middle of the nineteenth century.
d. It is atonal.
e. John Cage was a famous jazz composer of the twentieth century.
7. What is true of a key signature?
I. It indicates the meter of a piece of music.
II. It is indicated at the beginning of a piece of music, just after the time signature.
III. It indicates how a tune gets from one pitch to the next.
IV. It is the scale that a piece of music is built on.
V. It refers to how loud or soft a tone is.
a. I and II
c. III and IV
d. II and IV
8. Which shows the correct order of the periods of Western music history?
a. Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, and 20th century
b. Gregorian, Baroque, Renaissance, Classical, Romantic, and 20th century
c. Gregorian, Medieval, Renaissance, Classical, Opera, and 20th century
d. Medieval, Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Expressionist, and 20th century
e. Gregorian, Medieval, Baroque, Classical, Expressionist and Atonal
9. During which period did Giovanni Bellini, Josquin Desprez, and William Shakespeare work?
10. Which languages are used in music and ballet?
a. Italian for music and ballet.
b. Italian for music, French for ballet.
c. German for music, Italian for ballet.
d. French for music and ballet.
e. French for music, Italian for ballet.